- 16-Jan-2013 to 07-Feb-2013 (CST)
- Public Works - Streets & Drainage
- Pearland, TX, USA
- Full Time
The City of Pearland offers an excellent benefits package including a voluntary ICMA 457 deferred compensation program, as well as membership in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). The City of Pearland pays all premiums for the employee’s dental, long-term disability protection, and life insurance and the City pays a portion of the medical premium for employees and dependants.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide safe, reliable, and dependable roadways through the appropriation supervision of the streets division. Oversee and manage the daily operations of subordinate personnel. Prioritize and assign daily work orders. Inspect streets, ditches, and right of ways. Respond to resident complaints and emergencies.
• Check and answer emails, voicemail, and mailbox.
• Prioritize and distribute work orders.
• Obtain quotes and purchase orders for contract work and vendors.
• Respond to citizen questions and complaints.
• Inspect streets, ditches and right-of-ways.
• Attend meetings (office or out in the field) as necessary. Monitor work crews and projects.
• Operate machinery or dump trucks as necessary.
• Complete evaluations and assist with budgets.
• Must participate in call-out rotation of Streets and Drainage Department; take home vehicle is not guaranteed.
• Serves as "essential personnel" and is required to remain available for immediate call-in due to any natural or man made disaster, or any other event the Public Works Director or City Manager deem necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of basic office software.
• Ability to operate a City vehicle for business use, PC, backhoe, tamper, roller, grader, loader, cell phone, telephone, pager, and radio. Ability to read and interpret maps, engineering plans, drawings, and specifications. Ability to effectively communicate and work with the public and special interest groups. Ability to plan, organize and monitor subordinate employee work assignments to accomplish division objectives. Ability to supervise the work activities of subordinate personnel. Ability to identify and correct potential safety hazards. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
• Knowledge of the construction, repair and maintenance of streets, roads, drainage ditches, and traffic signals. Knowledge of basic safety standards.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES:
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in the construction and maintenance of streets and drainage systems.
• A valid, Class "A" CDL with N endorsement required.
• Work Zone Traffic and Flagger Control certifications, NIMS/FEMA courses, and other TEEX courses preferred.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!